Call Today for a Consultation 601.843.0985
Trusted Madison County Attorneys Building Relationships that Last a Lifetime

Child Support Lawyers in Madison County

Jackson Attorneys Knowledgeable in Family Law Matters

Child support paymentWhen a couple is splitting up, determinations of child support payments often must be made. At the Hancock Law Firm, we understand any issue regarding children may be emotionally charged. We know that your children come first, and we will work diligently to make sure that your voice is heard throughout the process.

Contact us now to get started on your case. We will work hard to create a fair child support agreement.

Our family law attorneys have helped many Madison, Rankin, and Hinds County Area residents. We can help you as well.

Determining Child Support After a Divorce

Child support refers to money paid by the non-custodial parent to the custodial parent in order to cover the expenses of a child or children. The non-custodial parent is the parent who spends less than half the time with the child, while the custodial parent is the parent who spends the majority of the time with the child.

It is assumed that the custodial parent spends more of their income on the child, since that parent is the one providing for the greater share of the day-to-day needs of the child. Each state has its own child support guidelines. In Mississippi, if the non-custodial parent has an annual income of more than $10,000 but less than $100,000, they will pay a certain percentage of their adjusted gross income, as mandated by the state guidelines. These child support guidelines are based on the number of children.

For example, the percentage of gross income that a non-custodial parent is expected to pay is:

  • 14% for 1 child
  • 20% for 2 children
  • 22% for 3 children
  • 24% for 4 children
  • 26% for 5 or more children

The obligation to pay child support ends when the child turns 21. Other instances in which child support payments may stop include if the child gets married, enlists in the military on a full-time basis, is emancipated, or is convicted of a felony and sentenced to incarceration for a minimum of two years.

The amount of child support that a payor is obligated to pay is not set in stone. In fact, a judge may change the amount of child support payments if the party requesting the change can show a “material change in circumstances” since the entry of the last child support order. Some common examples of these changes include increased needs for the child or the involuntary loss of a job or decreased income for the payor.

Explore Your Options with a Child Support Lawyer in Madison County

Parents have a legal duty to financially support their children. Child support issues may be complex, and having a skilled Madison County child support attorney on your side may make a critical difference in your case. At the Hancock Law Firm, we want to help you achieve the outcome that will be best for your child in the short term and the long term. Our child support and child custody attorneys proudly represent people in Madison, Ridgeland, Clinton, Flowood, Brandon, Flora, Yazoo City, Carthage, and Vicksburg, as well as the surrounding communities.

To set up an appointment, call us at (601) 843-0985 or contact us online.

Contact Hancock Law Firm, PLLC

Discuss Your Legal Matters with Professional Attorneys
    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.