Trusted Brandon Attorneys
Building Relationships that Last a Lifetime
Shoplifting Defense Attorneys in Brandon, MS
Accused of Shoplifting? Let Our Experienced Lawyers Fight for Your Freedom.
Nobody wants a shoplifting charge attached to their name, especially if the charge has the potential to leave a permanent stain on your reputation, not to mention your criminal history. The embarrassment, frustration, and worry about the consequences likely have you wondering what steps you should take next.
Don’t try to fight your shoplifting charge without legal guidance. Our experienced shoplifting defense attorneys at Hancock Law Firm, PLLC are in your corner and will guide you through the necessary legal steps you must take to secure the best possible outcome. Our lawyers in Brandon have 50+ years of combined experience in a plethora of legal matters, as well as decades of trial experience.
Shoplifting arrests are serious. Contact our Brandon shoplifting defense attorneys by dialing (601) 853-2223 for a free case evaluation. Consultations are always confidential.
What Are the Shoplifting Laws in Mississippi?
Our attorneys at Hancock Law Firm, PLLC are here to help you fight your shoplifting charges, as we know how simple misunderstandings can be blown out of proportion. That’s because you don’t even have to leave a storefront with any merchandise to be charged – all you had to do was allegedly conceal merchandise you didn’t pay for yet.
Mississippi broadly defines shoplifting as:
- Tampering with price tags or anti-theft devices
- Moving merchandise to a container where it does not belong
- Any attempt to cause the cash register to “under ring” merchandise
The Penalties for Shoplifting Convictions in Mississippi
Penalties for theft crimes in Mississippi vary, depending on the value of the allegedly stolen property by the accused. The criminal penalties are only one problem you may face, as many victimized merchants will sue in civil court for restitution, as well as collecting damages for their attorney fees and court costs.
Based on the value of property stolen, a shoplifting conviction will result in:
- Theft of merchandise valued at less than $500 with no prior shoplifting convictions is usually a misdemeanor, and conviction results in jail time up to 6 months or a fine up to $1,000.
- A shoplifter with 2 or more prior convictions of shoplifting merchandise valued at less than $500 faces a felony conviction. The penalties may include jail time up to 5 years and/or a fine up to $5,000.
- Theft of merchandise valued at more than $500 is a felony, and you may face a prison sentence up to 10 years and/or fines up to $10,000.
- Theft of merchandise valued between $1,000 to $5,000 is a felony with a minimum sentence of 5 years in the state penitentiary, and a fine of no more than $10,000, or both.
- Theft of merchandise valued between $5,000 to $25,000 is punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a fine of no more than $10,000.
- Theft of merchandise more than $25,000 is punishable by up to 20 years in prison, a fine of no more than $10,000, or both.
Seek Skilled Legal Help for a Free, Confidential Consultation
Upon arrest for a shoplifting charge, you should seek immediate legal representation. These charges are often prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, in addition to any civil penalties. Facing shoplifting charges likely has you feeling like no one is in your corner to protect your best interests. After you’ve been arrested on shoplifting charges, you should discuss your legal options with our qualified shoplifting defense attorneys in Brandon, MS. At Hancock Law Firm, PLLC, we offer free, confidential case evaluations at no obligation.
We’re here to help. Call Hancock Law Firm, PLLC at (601) 853-2223 today to book your free case evaluation.
- Family law
- Estate Planning
- Probate & Estate Administration
- Personal Injury
- Criminal law
Contact Hancock Law Firm: Estate & Family Attorneys
Discuss Your Legal Matters with Professional Lawyers