Trusted Brandon Attorneys
Building Relationships that Last a Lifetime
Child Custody Attorney in Brandon, MS
Skilled Child Custody Lawyers Representing Parents in Brandon, Mississippi
At Hancock Law Firm, PLLC, our Brandon child custody attorneys are skilled, experienced, and solutions-focused advocates for families. We know how difficult and sensitive child custody disputes can be for parents. With an emphasis on helping our clients find low conflict solutions when possible, we are always ready to take aggressive action to protect your rights and your kids. If you have any questions about child custody laws, professional support is only a phone call away. To set up your confidential appointment with a Mississippi child custody lawyer, please contact us today.
Child Custody Laws in Mississippi: An Overview
Child custody cases fall under state law. While there are many similarities from state to state, there are also some important nuances. As a parent going through a child custody case in Brandon, it is crucial that you have a general understanding of the Mississippi child custody laws. Here are three key things to know about child custody in our state:
- Two Types of Child Custody: In Mississippi, there are actually two separate forms of child custody—legal custody and physical custody. Legal custody refers to decision-making authority of the child. Physical custody refers to actual possession of the child. In some cases, parents are awarded shared legal custody and shared physical custody. In other cases, parents split legal custody but one parent is granted primary physical custody. Sole legal and physical custody can be awarded when good cause is shown.
- The Best Interests of the Child Standard: Mississippi courts resolve all child custody cases under the state’s best interests of the child standard. In effect, a judge will make a determination based on what type of custody arrangement is best for the child’s health, well-being, and social development. Parents involved in a child custody case need to be ready to demonstrate that they can provide the best environment for their child.
- Grandparents Have Limited Rights: A child’s legal parents have the primary custody rights in Mississippi. A child’s grandparent has some rights under the law—but a grandparent’s rights are far less than a parent’s rights. Still, in some circumstances, a grandparent may be awarded legal visitation or even legal custody in Mississippi.
We Put a Focus on Amicable Solutions—But are Always Ready to Take Aggressive Action
Few parents want to fight over child custody. Even if you and your former partner/co-parent do not currently see eye-to-eye, you probably still want to find an amicable solution if one is possible. State law strongly encourages collaboration and shared parenting in child custody cases. Unless a strong case can be shown to the contrary, then joint legal custody is likely to be awarded—even if one parent is granted primary physical custody.
Our Brandon, MS child custody lawyers are committed to helping our clients find the low-conflict solutions that they desire. We have experience with family law mediation and other forms of collaborative negotiation. At the same time, our Brandon child custody lawyers are also ready to take action to protect your parental rights. We are trial-tested family law advocates who can represent you every step of the way.
Why Choose Hancock Law Firm for Child Custody Representation
Child custody cases/disputes should always be handled with the utmost care and sensitivity. At Hancock Law Firm, PLLC, our legal team has more than five decades of combined family law experience. We are committed to going above and beyond to protect the rights of our clients and to help them find the solution that works best for their situation. When you get in touch with our legal team, you will be able to work with a Brandon, MS child custody attorney who will:
- Answer questions and explain the child custody laws during a confidential consultation;
- Prepare all of the documents, records, and information you need to support your case;
- Represent you in any settlement negotiations with your former partner/co-parent; and
- Take your child custody case as far as needed to do what is best for you and your kids.
Call Our Brandon, MS Child Custody Lawyer for Immediate Help
At Hancock Law Firm, PLLC, our Brandon child custody attorneys work tirelessly to provide the highest level of legal representation to clients. If you have any questions about child custody or you are locked in a child custody dispute, we will help. Call us now or contact us through our website for a completely private review of your case. We provide child custody representation all over Rankin County, including in Brandon, Jackson, Pearl, Richland, Flowood, Florence, and Pelahatchie.
- Family law
- Estate Planning
- Probate & Estate Administration
- Personal Injury
- Criminal law