Trusted Madison Attorneys
Building Relationships that Last a Lifetime
Child Custody Attorney in Madison, MS
Top-Rated Mississippi Child Custody Lawyers Representing Parents in Madison County
At Hancock Law Firm, PLLC, our Madison, MS child custody attorneys are passionate, effective advocates for parents. We put a focus on helping clients find amicable solutions in family law disputes—but we will never let your parental rights take a backseat. Do you have questions or concerns about child custody or child visitation? Our attorneys are ready to help. To schedule a fully confidential, no-obligation case evaluation with a skilled Mississippi child custody lawyer, please do not hesitate to contact us today.
Your Guide to the Child Custody & Visitation Laws in Mississippi
Are you a parent going through a divorce or a separation in Madison? If so, it is imperative that you have a basic understanding of the child custody laws in our state. Our family law attorneys want to make sure you have the tools, knowledge, and resources to do what is best for you and your family. Here are three key things to know about child custody laws in Mississippi:
- Mississippi Uses the ‘Best Interests of the Child’ Standard: Similar to the majority of U.S. states, Mississippi uses the ‘best interests of the child’ standard to resolve custody disputes. If a child custody case goes before a court, then the judge must make a determination by considering what is best for the health, safety, emotional well-being, and long-term social development of the child. In applying this standard, Mississippi courts are allowed to consider a wide range of different factors, including each parent’s prior relationship with the child, each parent’s ability to provide a stable home environment, and even the preferences of the child (if 12 or older).
- Some Form of Shared Parenting is Presumed to be Best: It is a policy in Mississippi that it is better for kids to have an active, ongoing relationship with both parents. For this reason, our state strongly favors shared legal custody. That being said, sole legalcustody can be awarded when deemed appropriate. Notably, there is a difference between legal and physical custody. Legal custody refers to the concept of decision-making authority. Physical custody refers to the actual possession of the child.
- A Grandparent May Be Entitled to Visitation Rights: A child’s parent has the primary right to custody. However, Mississippi grants some limited visitation rights to a child’s grandparents. Under state law, a grandparent may be able to petition for legally guaranteed visitation rights with their grandchild. If you have any questions about grandparent visitation in Mississippi, our Madison family lawyers can help.
Amicable Solutions are Desirable in Custody Cases—But Your Parental Rights Matter
Going through a divorce or a separation is never easy. There are a lot of complex emotional and logistical issues that must be considered and resolved. For parents, a separation brings an extra layer of challenges. Understandably, you want to do whatever you can to protect the best interests of your kid(s). For this reason, most parents want to find the lowest possible conflict in custody cases.
At Hancock Law Firm, PLLC, our Madison, MS child custody lawyers put a strong emphasis on amicable solutions to family law disputes. We are prepared to go above and beyond to help you and your family find the answer that truly works best for your children. With that in mind, our Madison, MS child custody attorneys are also prepared to take aggressive action to protect your parental rights. We know that conflict is not desirable—but we also know that your parental rights matter.
How Our Mississippi Child Custody Lawyers Can Help
Child custody cases can be complicated. At Hancock Law Firm, PLLC, we can help you with the full range of child custody & child visitation cases. When you get in touch with our Ridgeland law office, you will have an opportunity to consult with a Madison child custody lawyer who can:
- Answer questions and explain your rights under the Mississippi child custody laws;
- Gather all documents and records you need to bring a claim; and
- Take all appropriate action to do what is best for you and your family.
We are strong believers in the notion that one-size-fits-all solutions do not work in child custody & child visitation cases. Our Madison, MS child custody lawyers are committed to providing fully personalized legal guidance and support to each and every client.
Contact Our Madison, MS Child Custody Attorneys for Immediate Help
At Hancock Law Firm, PLLC, our Madison child custody lawyers are skilled, solutions-focused advocates for parents. If you are locked in a dispute over child custody or child visitation, we can help. Give us a call now or contact us online to schedule a confidential, no-obligation case evaluation. Our firm represents parents all over Madison County, including in Ridgeland, Flora, Canton, Gluckstadt, and Kearney Park.
To set up a consultation, call us at (601) 853-2223 or contact us online.
- Family law
- Estate Planning
- Probate & Estate Administration
- Personal Injury
- Criminal law