Trusted Brandon Attorneys
Building Relationships that Last a Lifetime
Child Support Attorney in Brandon, MS
Get Help From a Top-Rated Child Support Lawyer in Brandon, Mississippi
At Hancock Law Firm, PLLC, our Brandon, MS child support attorneys are committed to providing personalized guidance to parents and families throughout Rankin County. With deep knowledge of the Mississippi child support laws and extensive experience representing clients, we are more than ready to help you find the best path forward. If you have any questions about child support, professional representation is just a phone call away. To set up your fully private case evaluation with a skilled Brandon child support lawyer, please do not hesitate to contact our law firm today.
Child Support in Mississippi: An Overview
The principle behind the concept of child support is relatively straightforward: Parents have a responsibility to provide for their children. When parents are divorced or otherwise separated, the non-custodial parent may be required to make ongoing payments for the support of the child. Similar to other jurisdictions, Mississippi has general child support guidelines in place that are used to determine how much the non-custodial parent should pay. Under Mississippi law (Mississippi Code Annotated: § 43-19-101), these guidelines are largely based on the non-custodial parent’s adjusted gross income. Here is an overview of the standard Mississippi child support guidelines:
- One Child Being Supported: 14 percent of a parent’s adjusted gross income.
- Two Children Being Supported: 20 percent of a parent’s adjusted gross income.
- Three Children Being Supported: 22 percent of a parent’s adjusted gross income.
- Four Children Being Supported: 24 percent of a parent’s adjusted gross income.
- Five or More Children Being Supported: 26 percent of a parent’s adjusted gross income.
You May Be Eligible to Deviate from the Child Support Guidelines
Mississippi courts presume that the state’s child support guidelines will create a fair and equitable result for both parents. That being said, state law also recognizes that these general guidelines cannot work in every case. Courts can deviate from the Mississippi child support guidelines in either direction—meaning they could award more or less child support than is called for by the guidelines. Courts will only deviate from the guidelines if the parent seeking a deviation can show good cause for doing so. In other words, the party seeking a child support deviation has the burden of proof.
Our Firm Handles the Full Range of Child Support Cases in Rankin County
Do you have questions about a child support case in Rankin County, Mississippi? No matter the specific circumstances that you are currently dealing with, our Brandon family lawyers are available to help. We have the skills and experience to represent clients in all types of child support matters. Some notable child support claims that we handle in Brandon, MS include:
- Negotiation of initial child support settlements;
- Deviation from the state child support standard;
- Assistance in child support and paternity cases;
- Legal representation in child support disputes/litigation;
- Modifications of a final child support judgment (reduction or increase); and
- Recovery of delinquent child support payments.
You should not wait to take action if you are locked in a child support case. As a general rule, it is much easier to achieve your desired outcome when you take a proactive approach. The longer a child support dispute is allowed to linger, the more challenging it can be to reach a reasonable agreement. Consult with a Brandon, MS child support lawyer right away.
How Our Brandon, MS Child Support Attorneys Can Help Protect Your Rights
Child support laws are complicated—especially if there is a dispute over how much is owed. At Hancock Law Firm, PLLC, we are strong advocates for our clients. Your parental rights and financial interests matter. When you reach out to our family law team, you will have an opportunity to work with a Brandon child support lawyer who can:
- Conduct a comprehensive review and assessment of your child support case;
- Secure and prepare all of your financial documents and records;
- Advocate for your interests in child support settlement negotiations; and
- Take all proper legal action to help you secure the best outcome.
Call Our Brandon, MS Child Support Lawyer Today
At Hancock Law Firm, PLLC, our Mississippi family law attorneys have deep experience handling the complete spectrum of child support cases. If you need help navigating a child support issue, our law firm is here as a resource. Contact us now for a confidential assessment of your legal case. We provide child support legal services all over Rankin County, including in Brandon, Jackson, Pearl, Richland, Flowood, Florence, and Pelahatchie.
- Family law
- Estate Planning
- Probate & Estate Administration
- Personal Injury
- Criminal law