Trusted Brandon Attorneys
Building Relationships that Last a Lifetime
Divorce Attorney in Brandon, MS
Get Help From a Top-Rated Brandon, MS Divorce Lawyer
At Hancock Law Firm, PLLC, our Brandon divorce lawyers are experienced, effective advocates for clients. With a focus on helping people find amicable solutions to their divorce cases, our attorneys are also trial-tested. We are ready to take aggressive action to protect your rights when necessary. If you are locked in a divorce case, you need professional representation. For a confidential initial consultation with a Rankin County divorce lawyer, please do not hesitate to contact us today.
An Overview of the Divorce Laws in Rankin County, Mississippi
Are you preparing to get divorced in Rankin County? If so, it is imperative that you have a comprehensive understanding of the divorce law. In general, divorces are handled under state law. Here are four key things that you should know about the divorce laws in Mississippi:
- No-Fault Divorce: You do not have to prove that your spouse did something “wrong” to qualify for a divorce. Mississippi is a no-fault divorce state. You have the right to separate on the grounds of “irreconcilable differences.”
- Residency Rules: You do have to satisfy the residency rules to file for a divorce in Rankin County. Under Mississippi law (Mississippi Code § 93-5-5), at least one of the two spouses in a divorce case must have lived in the county for a minimum of six months.
- Equitable Property Division: In Mississippi, a married couple’s property will be split on “equitable” grounds. Put another way, each spouse is entitled to receive their “fair” share of the jointly held assets. Each party can retain their full, non-marital property.
- Best Interests of the Child (Custody): Under the Mississippi best interests of the child standard, any dispute over custody or visitation in a divorce will be decided based on what is right for the child’s health, safety, emotional well-being, and social development.
We Can Help You With All Aspects of Your Divorce Case
Divorce is personal. It is about a lot more than simply completing some legal paperwork. While it is crucial that you get all of the legal documents done the right way, you also need to resolve key issues about your life and your future. Some of the most important issues in divorce cases include:
- Property Distribution: When going through a divorce in Rankin County, you need to determine who gets what. This is never easy—particularly for couples that own complex assets. Call our Brandon property division attorneys today for immediate assistance with your case.
- Child Support: Our firm helps mothers and fathers deal with complex child support matters. If you have any questions about your rights or your responsibilities, please do not hesitate to contact our Brandon, MS child support attorneys for help.
- Child Custody: For parents of young children, questions of custody and visitation can be especially difficult to deal with. We have a deep understanding of the best interests of the child laws in Mississippi. Call our Brandon child custody lawyers today for help with your case.
You Can Trust the Mississippi Divorce Lawyers at Hancock Law Firm for Solutions
Divorce is complicated. It is normal to be stressed out by thinking about the legal, logistical, and personal issues related to divorce. At Hancock Law Firm, PLLC, we know how difficult it can be to end a marriage. Even if you know it is the right thing to do in the long term, going through a divorce is never easy. When you call our law office, you will work with a Brandon divorce lawyer who will:
- Conduct an in-depth review and analysis of your case;
- Answer any questions you have about the divorce process;
- Take care of all of the divorce paperwork;
- Help you with property division, alimony, custody, and/or child support; and
- Build a proactive strategy designed to help you secure your future.
Every divorce is different. You need legal representation from a Rankin County, MS divorce attorney who will put in the time and resources to handle your case the right way. With a commitment to helping people find low-conflict divorce solutions, we are a trial-tested law firm that is always ready to take aggressive action to protect the best interests of our clients.
Call Our Brandon, MS Divorce Lawyers for Immediate Help
At Hancock Law Firm, PLLC, our Brandon, MS divorce attorneys are compassionate, legally knowledgeable advocates for our clients. If you are going through a marital separation, we are more than ready to help. Call us now or get in touch with us through our online contact form for a strictly confidential consultation. We handle divorce cases in Brandon and throughout Rankin County, including in Jackson, Flowood, Pearl, Richland.
- Family law
- Estate Planning
- Probate & Estate Administration
- Personal Injury
- Criminal law